View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently September 1st, 2014, 7:21 pm

Reply to topic  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 DH HWS-2 Hanwei more durable then TH 9260 Huawei or Raptor? 

Post DH HWS-2 Hanwei more durable then TH 9260 Huawei or Raptor?
Hi,

First of all I am new and just started my collection this past couple of days and I would appreciate your help to try me decide what my next heavy cutter would be…

Is the DH HWS-2 Bamboo Mat really a more durable heavy cutter then a TH 5160 (Raptor), a TH 9260 Huawei or the L6 Oni?

I am split between two models:

A) The Hanwei Bamboo Mat, except that it is DH, hard to maintain that hamon, no niku, do not like the shape of the handle (in my Hanwei Raptor Moroha Zukuri) and someone on the forums had problems with rolling the edge and considers it inferior to a KC 29 A….Expensive also. Well more expensive then the usual beginner sword.

B) I am also looking at a Huawei TH 9260 Shinken Katana, hand forged, no bo-hi, with more niku (.78 cm Kasane at Mune-Machi/thickness), 11” handle /27.5 cm, very affordable (Around USD 210 shipped to Canada) but I am afraid of the fittings…Ok superior blade theoretically, but what if the handle breaks?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 869wt_1139

Or a lighter model:
http://cgi.ebay.com/HANDFORGED-9260-BAT ... 817wt_1139

(Link removed by Admin)

(Link removed by Admin)
Someone on the forum suggested inserting epoxy 5 ton in the handle of all the sub $300 katanas; but how easy is to do that? Do I have to take the handle apart? An experience here reported a broken pin on his Huwei and lack of customer support henceforth, when he tried to dissemble his…Are the problems as common as with Cheness swords? Consider that our Marc doesn’t even carry DF anymore, until they fix their handle problems…

My last option would be the heaviest Raptor, with niku, cheap, but funny shaped and long handle, 13”….

(Link removed by Admin)

I’ve also looked at Munetoshi T10 swords, the Ronin Dojo Pro (TH 1060 Carbon Steel, right?), the Cheness "Oniyuri" 9260 Custom Bujinkan Katana, Ninja Katana 23” (except for that long 14” tsuka), Or a Tenchi, O-Katana, KC-29A etc..

Or some spring steel here at Tozando at about USD 800:

(Link removed by Admin)

Anyhow what do you think about the original question?

Why does Hanwei consider the DH Bamboo Mat alongside the Lion Dog and the Bugei Old Pine, the “toughest” katanas on the market? Even more then their L6 Bainitie Oni? Or then a MAS L6?

some dealers told me
“The Hanwei Raptor series is very durable, but maybe not as forgiving as the 9260 steel. In other words, the edge of the Raptor is less likely to chip than on some other models, but it is not able to flex out of line as much as the 9260 blades can. To get the best of both worlds you would need to upgrade to the Bamboo Mat (Link removed by Admin)
this blade has similar properties to the 9260 but with Hanwei's better fittings and quality”

Why am I looking at a heavy cutter? For two reasons mainly

a) While only a collector atm, may start learning how to cut and anticipate tons of bad cuts….
b) In case of a “what if” scenario, end of the world kind of thing…Hey, don’t laugh I’ve already dabbled in archery and own a nice compound bow.

BTW, don't care about a hamon, bo-hi, style etc But durability, balance and price...

Again I don’t know anything about swords, I am kinda tall, 6’2” (188 cm), weigh 100 kg (former power forward in basketball) and swing hard, daily, for hours in a row, what is considered a heavy tennis racket (but only 360g, or1/3 the weight of a Katana), with one hand….

Speaking of which I really don’t like the shape of the handle of the Raptor Moroha Zukuri, although I did chose a smaller handle 11” and lighter and shorter sword (26.5” blade) as opposed to say Musashi...I'm almost tempted to wait for a better DF serie...

The reason I got the Raptor
(Link removed by Admin)

is also for learning, still considered among the heavy cutters (well this model is semi-heavy, correct) and a nice collectable item with that double edge and half bo-hi…

BTW I am not impressed with (deleted) service: the sageo was untied (which it is a pain for me to tie it back, pitiful result lol), had one sparkle of dust (but a cotton cloth removed it- I still have to inspect it more carefully tomorrow during day light and oil etc…But at least I didn’t have to order glo paste right away from KUA cause (Deleted) didn’t have it) and they also changed their mind about shipping from their repeateadelly confirmed flat rate of $30, they surcharged me another $75 so I gave up the 4 cutting mats that were in the package, just not to pay that…So basically another charge of $30 for me.

Two days ago I’ve also got 2 Musashi swords as a backup and maybe for practice in the future since one has a bo-hi:

mu
A TH 1060:
(Link removed by Admin)
“It does come with the certificate of authenticity, simple black cotton back that is nice, The feel of the sword is light and the cutting will handle bamboo in tatami mats. Make no mistake this is a REAL sword. The Hamon and rayskin are real. the sword is solid with no loose parts what-so-ever. Tight wrap and a beautiful blade. It fits in the scabbard well with just a little resistance getting it out. Giving the price this sword gets 5/5 STARS!

Here are the specs from a different website:

Traditional hand forge Muku-kitae method.
-1060 High Carbon Steel.
-55 HRC blade hardness.
-Hamon and hardness created with temper process.
-Real hamon, not wire brushed or printed.
-Real ray skin wrapped grip with black cotton cord wrap.
-Extremely sharp hand honed edge.
-Steel tsuba, fuchi, and kashira; Brass habaki.
-Can be disassembled for care or display.
-Dual bamboo mekugi (peg), hardwood handle.
-Hardwood scabbard with high quality piano paint finish.
-39 3/4 in. overall, 27 1/2 in. blade, 10 3/4 in. handle.
-Includes black cotton sword storage/carry bag.”

And a 1040:
http://www.musashiswords.com/shop/produ ... t=0&page=1

BTW Musashi now has a "asd2011" during checkout for a 10% discount”.

Oh, do you guys think that I should actually order wooden bokkens for fun practice (instead of my cold steel ones, that I've wrapped the handle with a tennis overgrip :))?

Thanks,
Marian

Last edited by Marian on February 27th, 2011, 1:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

February 26th, 2011, 9:49 pm
Profile Send private message E-mail
Post Re: DH HWS-2 Hanwei more durable then TH 9260 Huawei or Rap
first, i've removed links beause this isn't a publicity forum.

secondly
with the swords names we can answwer your questions, no need for links till asked.

third.
you cannot compare a musashi sword with a bamboo mat and with an Oni katana.

you need to focus on what you want to know and ask clear question.

if you trow 7 or 10 swords names, no one will be able to suggest you what to do,from a 100.00 sword to a 1020.00 sword there are a lot of different things.

the best thing is to tell people what money you have and what you wanna do with it.

then, people will suggest you swords in the money range you want.

Marc

February 27th, 2011, 8:22 am

Hi Marc,

Sorry for the links, but what about the blade themselves, presuming that they are all properly treated and that the fittings aren't too bad?

Is the DH HWS-2 Bamboo Mat really a more durable heavy cutter then a TH 5160 (Raptor)?

And how about between a Bamboo Mat and a TH 9260 Huawei?

All I've seen is an ebay listing, can anyone tell if this Huawei has niku, etc?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 869wt_1139

I don't want to spent more then $400 for another heavy cutter.

Thanks,
Marian

PS

The reason I was thinking about Oni as well, is that rather then buy say a second Raptor (I already have a Moroha) or a Bamboo Mat, maybe I could just wait until I have money for an L6 Bainite (hey, yourself mentioned it as one of the two best production swords) :)

February 27th, 2011, 1:12 pm

It's really hard to say with the wide variations/price ranges involved with the swords listed.

One thing I will say is that there is a big difference between something DH and TH, whether high dollar or not. I may be wrong but I would say that a TH will be tougher than DH nearly every time.

If you want tough (and that sounds like your major concern) and a hamon too, I would recommend the KC 26 or 29.

February 27th, 2011, 5:27 pm

When you say the heaviest Raptor I assume you mean the Nambokucho.Heads up, it has less niku than the shinogi zukuri Raptor.

"In the chaos of battle when the ground beneath your feet is a slurry of blood,puke,piss and the entrails of friends and enemies alike,it gets easy to turn to the gods for salvation.But its soldiers who do the fighting.And soldiers who do the dying.And gods,,,never get their feet wet"-Centurion

"His junk is making our junk look like junk!"-Fred G. Sanford,Commodities

February 27th, 2011, 8:01 pm

johnwalter wrote:
When you say the heaviest Raptor I assume you mean the Nambokucho.Heads up, it has less niku than the shinogi zukuri Raptor.

Thanks guys!

Good to know!

So what kind of heavy cutter, the kind you take into battle (or a nub like me may use eventually for some ...bad practice cutting) would you recommend?

As far as money goes, I guess that eventually I could save up to 1k (Oni?), or spent right now say $500 (Lion Dog? Bamboo? Get the other Raptor Shinogi Zukuri?)

Please note that I'm in no rush whatsoever since:

a) I have yet to train/practice even with a bokken :)
b) I already got the lightest Raptor, the Moroha Zukuri + 2 Musashi (a TH 1060 and a 1040).

The only rush is my ...collector's fever and seeing that those guys in Egypt were trying to scare thieves away with katanas :)

And yes I am tad worried about DH being less durable then a TH even if we are talking Bamboo Mat HWS-2 vs Raptor...

Thanks again,
Marian

February 27th, 2011, 8:20 pm

A dynasty forge musha would be a good option for you. As an end of days blade, they would be among my top choices. They are VERY tough and very sharp. The shobu is an excellent heavy cutter.

You already have a pretty good blade in the moroha raptor.

Some things are just going to take experience. I collected a lot of blades before I found one that really felt right.

February 28th, 2011, 1:02 am

Being that you said you are new and have not done any cutting yet... I would NOT by a DH blade or an expensive blade.

Get an affordable, tough monosteel cutter to practice with and make your early mistakes with.

The Raptors are great for that... as is the Dynasty Forge Musha Class as Shobi mentioned.

February 28th, 2011, 10:00 am

Thanks, I'll wait for now and maybe in April when the new DF shippment is scheduled I'll look up a Shobu in either Musha or Bushi...Even more so since the sales here are on hold and I'm also a tad worried about past problems with cracked tsukas...

February 28th, 2011, 1:44 pm

I know that DF had a problem with their tsuka, but I was under the impression that had been taken care of with some new handle material sometime last year.

Did I miss something?

Marian, unfortunately, cracked tsuka is something all too common in the lower end of things. Even some higher end blades have them once in a while. Like the rest of us, you'll need to learn how to properly disassemble them and inspect for defects, BEFORE doing anything that will negate the sellers return policy.

February 28th, 2011, 10:32 pm

QUOTE:
As far as money goes, I guess that eventually I could save up to 1k (Oni?), or spent right now say $500 (Lion Dog? Bamboo? Get the other Raptor Shinogi Zukuri?)

Be aware that a higher price doesnt neccesarily mean a tougher or even a better blade.Aesthetics count for a lot in higher end prices as well as construction,(folded,laminate,etc)which doesnt mean a blade will be tougher and many cases will be more delicate.Better fittings,proper ito-maki,quality samegawa,even things like the amount of laqcuer coats the saya has will drastically increase price.There is no need to spend that much on the higher end blades to learn with.The Raptors or the Musha class from DF will more than meet your needs.Keep in mind that no blade is indestructible,and if you do manage to damage it,$150-250 is alot less painfull than $500-1000.TH will be more durable than DH.Which Im sure is why Shadowhowler said Musha and not Bushi class.

Musashi-good low end light cutters but no comparison to Hanwei or DF.The Munetoshi beaters are in the same price range and much much tougher blades.I like my Musashi blades but be aware also that there is some debate as to if their 1060's are clayed(I think not).They act very differently than other clayed DH blades and as I have damaged one I can say it acted like it was TH,very soft.So dont take these as any indicator to how a true DH blade will act.

Huawei-I have heard many things both good and bad but I dont recall seeing many vids or testing of these blades.9260 is just 9260 steel.Without a quality heat treat and temper its no better than the rest.So I would have to go with some one tried and true to learn with.

Hope this is helpful.Practice cutting air before moving on to targets and work your way up from light to heavier.Concentrate on blade control.If you cant practice with someone who is trained,be careful,be smart and be safe.

"In the chaos of battle when the ground beneath your feet is a slurry of blood,puke,piss and the entrails of friends and enemies alike,it gets easy to turn to the gods for salvation.But its soldiers who do the fighting.And soldiers who do the dying.And gods,,,never get their feet wet"-Centurion

March 3rd, 2011, 5:35 pm

Thanks guys for all the hints!

John,

I don't ever plan to use my Musashis, keep them more as backups.

The only reasons I am considering a DF Bushi 1095 down the road, is probably, after I learn something with my TH Raptor Moroha (Which would be similiar to DF Musha, right? Even better, bc of the 5160 vs 1060 in terms of blade, not sure about the fittings and ballance though). The DH 1095 Bushi could be better for practice in the far away future so to speak, with a better edge retention and balance.

Another factors that come to mind are weight, length and ballance....

The Raptor Moroha has a 26" blade, the Musashi a 28", the DF would be 28.5" 1060 Shobu Katana in Musashi Theme, KC can be either 29" or 26", right?

Well I am 6'2" and according to some sites (I think Citadel's Shadowofleaves) indicates a blade length between 31" and 32".
Another measure seems to be when the sword doesn't touch the ground (meaning holding it down with 2 hands in front of you, pointing down?) The 28" is far from touching, while the 26" seems kind of short...

Weight, I have no idea atm, but a 2 lb 4.5 oz (Raptor) doesn't seem too heavy, being maybe on the lighter side.

No idea until I practice some control (only got bokkens, Cold steel ones, may get wood ones as well +books andmaybe looking for an instructor as well)

I was looking at T10 Munetoshi light cutter at some point as well, matter of fact, but right now am aiming for for a DF Shobu either Bushi 1095 (28") or Musha, a KC 29 (most niku) or the Bamboo Mat (at over 28")...

Plus these: a DF FF is 29" (but thinner blade, less niku), the heaviest Raptor Nanbokucho being 30" and the cheapest of them all, a Huwei 9260 being of almost 28" (70.5 cm)

What do you think and thanks again!

March 3rd, 2011, 6:38 pm

Your reasoning with the 5160 vs 1060 is neither here nor their,the treatment and forging make the difference.I am no authority and their are many other members better suited than I to explain the finer points.The 1060 blades by DF are proven to be some of the toughest around.

As far as sizing a blade,first learn to use one that isnt going to hinder your learning.I am 6'3'',200 lbs.And my nambokucho is a handfull.28-29'' is what I prefer.If you find an instructor he may require you to use a certain size,style,etc.If you like the Raptors,get the shinogi zukuri.And get a wooden bokken,a heavy wood.

If you are like most of us,this is just the beginning of your addiction,LOL,the more you practice,the more you will want.

I am only a student of the sword so please dont take any more than that from my advice.We have a fine instructor as a member,mod,and safety officer here by the name of Tom Urso Sensei here who is very knowlegable and always willing to help with any questions.

March 5th, 2011, 10:34 pm

Thanks John,

Yeah, the steel was what first caught my eye, before you guys told me more about the treatment, forging, fittings and so on...

True, I will probably grab also a Shinogi Zukuri once it gets back in stock, besides my Moroha Zukuri Raptor...

So while the 1060 Musha Shobu DF is probably a heavy cutter, what do you think the new model Shobu in the Bushi 1095 be like?

Marc here likes the Bushi 1095 b/c they are light, have great ballance etc and he recommended it to me even over the Bamboo Mat...I'll get one of those two probably.

28"-29" is what I'm aiming for in my next swords as well, since SOTE has got me to buy the shorter Raptor Moroha first (26") and I got a 28" Mushashi for kicks.

Another option I'm considering is 9260 Huawei, maybe only the blade and get it mounted by Nihonzashi, or a complete heavy cutter from Huawei if that Jackie person manages to do it. The one I've found on ebay their heaviest 9260, Jackie told me it's only soft/medium cutter.

Yeah I shall get wooden bokkens as well together with the next sword purchase, so far I only got some Cold steel bokkens.

Don't know yet how much I will practice in swords, since I'm practicing tennis daily (including being the cpt of one of the club's teams) and I'm also considering going back playing my original sport basketball...Also once summer starts will be doing more camping/hiking then ever.

But you are right, it's fascinating...

Well today I took my bow out and practiced a bit, something I haven't done in years; it's fun.

March 6th, 2011, 3:30 am

My bushi shobu does feel slightly lighter than the musha shobu, but I wouldn't expect the 1095 bushi to be so much lighter that it really makes a difference. From what I've gathered, the shobu is supposed to be that way.

I second JW's recommendation of the shinogi raptor. Or a shinogi musha. Whatever floats your boat. But get something TH you won't destroy in the learning practice. I've made some stupendously bad cuts and have yet to bend any of my blades. That is only thanks to the forumites who knew more than me and did as we are doing and recommending something TH to learn on. Cutting big stuff into little stuff is a lot of fun. Bending a nice blade isn't.

Edit: Just weighed both shobus for ya. FF bushi- 2lbs 10.5 oz. musha shobu- 2lbs 11.3oz. Hard to believe I can feel that 1.2oz diffference. If that new 1095 shobu is somewhere around 2lbs 8oz, it should be quite nice.

March 6th, 2011, 11:56 am

Hi Shobi and John (again),

1. But I do have a TH Raptor Moroha Zurkuri, granted it is their lightest and shortest blade (Blade: 26 1/2'', Weight: 2 lb 4.5 oz), but still the vendor from SOTE still considered it among the "heavy cutters" alongside the other Raptor models...

I've listened to him and I got it, also b/c it looks more of a collecter's item (with the double edge and bo-hi) then the Shinogi:

"The style is seen as a link between the old Ken straight swords and the curved Tachi (and later Katana). This style is unusual in having a back edge on the top half of the blade, with fullers starting where this edge finishes and continuing to the hilt. The back edge is deliberately left unsharpened for the benefit of Iaido practitioners used to working with more conventional blade styles."

Double edge gives me also some kind of a hybrid towards European styles, I think...And I wanted to see if it can be used one handed (based ahem on the way I play tennis with one hand, where I try hard to generate racket head speed and as a result power/pace),

Having said all of that I shall grab a Shinogi as well, probably, once DJ opens business here.
My second choice would be KOA to be able to add wooden bokens, wax, glo-paste, eraser, etc to the same order for very little extra shipping charges.

2. Would the DF Bushi Shobu 1095 still be considered a heavy cutter, or by that time, presuming that my skills improve a lighter cutter, such as a regular Bushi 1095 or a Bamboo Mat would suit me better for cutting practice?
Our Marc suggested me the Bushi 1095 b/c "is light and easy to handle", "best ballance and nice blade for the price".

I may just go DF over Hanwei for my next acquisition for the handle shape alone and b/c variety is the spice of life...

Looking forward to more of your hints!

Like when you guys started practice cutting, what did you start with?

I've tried a couple of...empty 1.5 water bottles and didn't cut them completely (Well the only one I cut half way had half of inch of water in it, but I only took 2-3 swings since it was in my basement).

March 6th, 2011, 12:18 pm

Regardless of exact dimensions on the shobus,the wieght difference is in the steel type and temper.TH is heavier.
Balance is a big deal with swords.The moroha,while agreat sword,will probably feel nothing like any shinogi,which is the industry standard sugata[shape] of katana.Shoboshi can clarify that since his son has one.

Marc likes the 1095 bushi,but remember he is an experienced cutter.And the bushi is DH.I cant say much on Huawei other than for a learning blade I would recommend a company more tested.

As a small caution,I wouldnt recommend using tennis technique with a sword,I see many possible injuries.I am no tennis player,but it appears to be among other things a game of finnese and power.You do not use power to cut.
You dont cut,the sword does you simply will it to,lost you yet?Technique and form,not power.Anyone can hack through a target with these swords,but to actually cut.......

March 6th, 2011, 3:06 pm

Hello again John,

Thanks about the Shinogi Raptor and the Bushi (That one could be for later).

I don't rely too much on tennis skills, although there may be similarities:
In tennis it's not a good idea either "to muscle" a shot (that would be your "power"), but to rather hit with a relaxed arm and grip while generating high racket head speed (something that I've heard about cuts with swords as well) and follow through...Also "visualizing" where you want the shot to go is a great tool used. Learn by feeling/trust your body to do so and just observe, etc are other concepts.

March 6th, 2011, 3:33 pm

:D Guess I know even less about tennis than I thought,as I said that was next to nothing,LOL

You are gonna be just fine.

March 6th, 2011, 5:16 pm

johnwalter wrote:
:D Guess I know even less about tennis than I thought,as I said that was next to nothing,LOL

Lol by comparison to my lack of knowledge about swords you are a tennis guru!!!

I'm trying to find some instructions here in Ottawa, Ontario, but I may be out of luck.

Thanks again!

March 6th, 2011, 9:07 pm
Reply to topic   [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next