View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently September 2nd, 2014, 2:45 pm

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 Munetoshi Matsu Red 

Post Munetoshi Matsu Red
This was my first and so far only review. I originally posted is on the SBG forum.

Seeing the light cutter review, made me nostalgic of it, and I thought I would repost it here.

Let me know it i shouldn't have.

------------------------------------------------------------------

I am not an experienced reviewer, so please don't take offense if I blunder. What I didn't know I took from the SwordNarmory website and the internet.

Today, (2 years ago really...), I received my first "brand new" sword.

I chose the Munetoshi Matsu.

I read that The Matsu (pine tree) been an evergreen, represents long life in Japanese culture.

It also pretty closely fits me, as I was born and raised in the Northern part of the Quebec province.

The forest around there is called Taiga. (Yes, like the dual land in magic...) but this really means that the trees are mostly conifers. I especially liked tall gray pines.

Apparently I am not the only one, as this was also a popular tree among the Samurai class. They liked its masculine appearance and affiliation with long life.

It came pretty well packaged. In a big box, containing a slimmer box which contained the the nylon carrying bag. Which in turn, contained the cloth bag...

...And then The Sword:

The Sword came with a cloth sword bag and a nice nylon carrying bag. The nylon bag has a shoulder strap and a velcro pocket.

The Matsu seem to be a light, and fast cutter. The blade of the Katana has been constructed from T10 carbon steel with a bo-hi.

It is recommended for beginning to intermediate practitioners.

I'll show you what I can, I took like 50 pictures, but alas, most of them are badly focused or overexposed cuz of the bright reflection of the flash.

So here's the tsuka:

We can barely see, but the Tsuba is blackened steel in a cut out sukashi design of a pine tree. it is smooth and light. Ill try to redo pictures of the tsuba later.

The Tsuka has 2 bamboo mekugi. The Ito is black cotton over white Samegawa. The same is correct, I dont see any wood, nor lines that would show if it was parts. There's even a couple nodules nearly as big as the meguki.

The Fuchigashira are nice and simple, made of black alloy.

The Ito is tight and everything fits nicely together.

The Sageo is black chemical fiber. It has a nice luster and I have to say I really like the way it is knotted.

A slight pressure of the thumb cracks it open and it is just tight enough when I slide it back in.

This blade features a very distinct authentic hamon running all the way through the Kissake, and has a well defined yokote.

The habaki fits nicely.

The hamon has been authentically created and features a Gunome design with a prominent Nioi line.
We can see a little bit the hamon, but my pictures really do not do it justice.

The Kissaki is a Chu-Kissaki design

Here we can see the yokote

Midare-komi turn back.

Bull horn Koiguchi, sadly my picture is lacking, but I see no cracks

Kojiri

The Saya features a glossy burgundy lacquered finish with golden highlights. I chose this saya over the black one, and I am very please with it. It is really hard to show it in pictures, because the flash makes it appears vivid red. But in reality it is a beautiful deep burgundy red.

And to finish, 2 pictures of the Kashirae. Like I said before, nice and plain.

Spec’s

Overall 41"
Blade 28,5"
Tsuka 10,5"
1095 steel
Weight 1,25 KG

Aesthetically I am very pleased of my Matsu. It already fills my desk with a nice presence.

(Now it stands proudly with my Momo no saru.)

But since I haven't tried it yet, I can't comment on how it handles and cut. But I will receive my moyoushi shirt soon...

(Oh, i did try it, alot, and I love the lightness of that sword, it weighs next to nothing I my hand. I love it.)

Takezo
-----
----------God has intended men to enjoy themselves with many games. Games bring them comfort and dispel their boredom.--Alfonso X El Sabio (1221-1284)

April 12th, 2012, 12:12 pm
Profile Send private message

Post Re: Munetoshi Matsu Red
Nice review. Thanks for sharing. I love the tsuba and the color of the saya.

April 12th, 2012, 7:14 pm
Profile Send private message E-mail

Sweet review. I really liked my Light Cutter, which as you mentioned is much the same sword. How is the saya fit? I'm glad you like your sword. Have fun!

April 13th, 2012, 2:19 am

Thank you both.

The fit is pretty good, nearly no rattling.

Takezo
-----
----------God has intended men to enjoy themselves with many games. Games bring them comfort and dispel their boredom.--Alfonso X El Sabio (1221-1284)

April 17th, 2012, 11:20 am
Profile Send private message

Great review and sword.I really like mine.
One small thing tho,the hamon is midare not gunome.

"In the chaos of battle when the ground beneath your feet is a slurry of blood,puke,piss and the entrails of friends and enemies alike,it gets easy to turn to the gods for salvation.But its soldiers who do the fighting.And soldiers who do the dying.And gods,,,never get their feet wet"-Centurion

"His junk is making our junk look like junk!"-Fred G. Sanford,Commodities

April 21st, 2012, 8:32 pm
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]